I brought the kitties back to the Vet yesterday on my day off. One of many appointments.
First, both of their ears were still dirty but not as bad. And I have to clarify because previously I think I said they had ear mites. But that was negative. They do however have both a bacterial and yeast infections. Double ouchy.
Both of their right ears are the worst, but this time Oliver's was worse than Elijah's. They are both super itchy. It is extremely difficult to clean their ears mostly because they won't stay still. Oliver is the worst; he is way difficult to handle and wriggles out of the hold. Hubby has to help. And I can't get deep down enough into the ear canal. Did you know that a cat's ear is L-shaped?
They also need to get their medicine ear drops twice a day, morning and night. It's even more difficult in the mornings because I have to find them and they just know why I'm looking for them. They avoid me like the plague. And I don't have much time in the mornings to track them down. So this morning I couldn't get them, like most mornings.
I can't get their ears clean and cleared up if I can't administer their medicine regularly! It's frustrating. And if their ears don't get better I have to keep taking them into the Vet. So I have another follow up appointment in two weeks. I am pretty tired of spending 1-1.5 hours a visit there having them both looked at. So the Vet gave us a more powerful cleaner that should fight the infection rather than just clean the ears normally.
In addition, Elijah's bloodwork came back negative for Hyperthyroidism. But we had to do some additional bloodwork and part of the last test was still pending. But if he doesn't have a thyroid problem then the Vet is at a loss about his coarse fur.
The next step would be further testing for his heart murmur. We could either do nothing since Eli hasn't had any problems, the murmur hasn't had any affect on him. Otherwise we can spend the big money for chest x-rays and an ultrasound for his lungs to further investigate it. Sad to say I just don't have the money right now. Especially since he was terribly ill last Fall and we spent the big money on radiology tests then. His eating and potty habits don't appear affected so we will wait it out.
My poor kitties.