Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Something I don't like (Pet Peeve)

The definition from Wikipediapet peeve (or pet hate) is a minor annoyance that an individual identifies as particularly annoying to him or her, to a greater degree than others may find it.

The reason I bring this up is because for my Photo a Day challenge from fat mum slim for April 17 is "Something I don't like".  And well, there are plenty of things I don't like.  But one thing in particular has been brought up recently, and well, really it lingers in the air all the time for me.  And because this post is about a Pet Peeve you can expect to hear me rant, so be forewarned.  However, I will try not to get heated!


Hi, my name is Patricia.  But you can call me Trisha.  

Trisha (or Tricia) is a derivative of the name Patricia, a "nickname" if you will.

Those are the ONLY two names I introduce myself as.  Don't think you know me well enough to call me anything else.  Particularly Pat or Trish.  This particular Pet Peeve is geared toward "Trish".  You see, the Trouble with Trisha, is that it further gets shortened to Trish.  I don't hear Pat that often because professionally I choose to go by my nickname, Trisha, just for that very reason.

So, as I was saying.  I don't like to be called Trish.  I never introduced myself to You as "Trish", so why are you calling me "Trish"??  Don't think you have the right to shorten my nickname any further because chances are you don't know me well enough to do so.  Even if you THINK you know me well enough.  My marrying into your family still does not give you special rights to call me that.  Nope, not at all.

Yeah, so part of that problem was that when Hubby and I started dating he introduced me to his family as "Trish" and being the great gal that I am and trying to impress the family I never corrected him or them.  Well, I've been doing a LOT of correcting lately.  I had that talk with Hubby way back to never introduce me as "Trish", but unfortunately the damage had been done and it stuck.  And whenever his family introduces me to yet more family or friends I again get introduced incorrectly.  So, as I've said, I've been doing a lot of correcting lately.  I've tried to make it clear to them now and I'm not afraid to do so.

Now, after having said all this, there is a very short list of those that I allow to call me "Trish", and that would be my family.  My family, as in my blood relatives.  They've known me all my life.  Again, not the in-laws.  And maybe, just maybe, some very close personal friends of mine.  The only other exception to this "rule" is a nickname I earned in high school from a teacher, who gave EVERYONE nicknames.  Usually it was just adding "Sue" after their name for the gals, but I was lucky I guess.  I had something to rhyme with my name.  Thus, I was called "Trish the Dish".  :)  That, and only that, is an acceptable use of the form "Trish".  It is flattering, so why not?  Thanks Coach Johnson!

Do you have a pet peeve?  Please share - I don't want to be in the wrong when it comes to you.  :)


Day 17 Photo a Day April Challenge

1 comment:

  1. Hi Trisha. My name also is Trisha and I feel your pain! I introduce myself as Trisha and almost everyone, something like 9 out of 10 people, immediately start calling me Trish. I HATE IT!!!! If I wanted to be called Trish, I would have introduced myself as Trish. I legally changed my name to Trisha one year ago (from an unrelated name) because I liked the name Trisha and wanted to be called Trisha. If I wanted to be called Trish it would have been a lot easier for me to change my name to Trish and save myself all the trouble. I think it's insulting for people to immediately chop the a off my name and call me something other then what I told them to call me. It puts me in the awkward and uncomfortable position of having to correct everyone that I meet. I can't see myself doing that for the rest of my life and I plan to legally change my name to something else in the near future.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...