Monday, April 23, 2012

Going on Nine Months of Discomfort


There are books that you just can't put down {The Hunger Games trilogy for example} and then there are books that you just struggle to get through.

On August 2, 2011 I purchased/downloaded a book to my Kindle, Home Improvement: Dead Edition by Charlaine Harris, Toni L. P. Kelner, et al.  It's a collection of short stories from several authors selected by Charlaine and Toni.  I've read several other of their collections they have edited and enjoyed them very much.  However today is April 23, 2012 and I am only, at this very moment, 69% through this book.  That's nine months of uncomfortable and painful reading, not unlike the discomfort of a pregnancy.

I have been struggling terribly to get interested in this one.  I've gone back and forth between it and other novels.  I even started and completed a twenty book series since then.  It's my "filler" book I suppose.  When I had nothing else to read I would make myself read yet another short story.

I just don't know why it is.  Who am I kidding, of course I do.  I'm not a book critic by any means but I suppose I find the stories dry, or maybe just flat out don't care for some of the author's writing.  Aside from a few of the author's stories because they tie into other books I've read, like Charlaine's Sookie Stackhouse series.  Those, I remain interested in.  I even felt the need to write a brief review on Amazon for this book similar to what I've written here.

So now that I'm doing this 101 things in 1001 days list I am back into this book.  I am GOING to finish it!  It is my first book for the 50 that I plan on reading during this time frame; even though technically I started it way before my start date of this goal.  I already have my next book lined up in my Kindle that I downloaded earlier this month.  So I say, No more filler book!

Home Improvement: Undead Edition
Find it on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...