Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Blood Drive as a "Short Timer"

I was able to finally give blood at work.  I usually try to as often as I can {ever since college}, and that only seems to be if my workplace is running the drive.  I never seem to be able to get to one anywhere else if it's during the work day -- I can't really afford to take the time off to do so.  And I don't usually find any drives close enough on the weekends.  That's the good thing about companies sponsoring them for their employees.

So, yeah, workplace blood drives are my best bet.  If your workplace does not currently sponsor blood drives at least once a year, I highly recommend you contact your HR department and make that suggestion.  It only benefits EVERYBODY.  And technically they should be able to run a drive every quarter, in line with how often a person should be able to donate.  How easy is that??

And I say "finally" because I haven't had the chance in nearly two years since my previous workplace.  I couldn't at all last year since I was pregnant.  And I'm just now getting around to it this year.

I feel like I have to get back into it and also pick up the slack from Hubby.  You see, he's Trypanophobic.  Haha.  BIG WORD.  I just learned it actually.  Googled "needle phobia" and yep, that's Hubby!  So since he is unwilling to give blood I need to give as often as I can. 


[ source ]

And of course, I sent the below picture of me to him just to tease him.  Unfortunately the lady wouldn't let me take a picture of her putting the needle in me to send to my husband -- because that's too mean.  Hehe.  So even without an actual needle shot I still got this response from Hubby, "Not funny! I just gagged a little."





I was the first Donation of the morning.
My "war wound"

I've also been called "Short Timer" a lot this week.  On account that it's my last few days working there.  All I can do it smile and nod.  Because yes.  I am a Short Timer.  :)

I hope my new workplace runs Blood Drives.  If not, I'll be contacting the HR department to encourage it.

Another thing: Giving blood is also on my 101 in 1001 list.  Another one to cross off.  :)  Woohoo!


American Red Cross
http://www.redcrossblood.org/

Give Blood.  Find a Drive near You.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...