Saturday, July 7, 2012

A Vino Vacation: Part One

Several months ago I found this Groupon for a Wine Tour and immediately thought that it would be a great idea for Hubby and I to do together.  Even better yet, we could make a weekend out of it.


I ran it by Hubby and he thought so too.  So I snapped it up and began planning a long weekend getaway for our anniversary.  I contacted the tour company and booked the date for our tour.  I also went through them to arrange our lodging and get some other ideas for the rest of our stay.

To Biltmore or not to Biltmore?  It's the main attraction in the area since it's just outside of Asheville.  But to be honest I could care less about walking through a mansion and seeing all the luxurious things.  I know many people are into that but it's not what Hubby and I are attracted to.  You can't even take pictures inside the house, only the Gardens.  And it's crazy expensive just to do that.

So Friday morning we headed towards Charlotte, dropped the boy off at my parents, and then made our great escape.  A weekend all to ourselves!!

For Friday we only had dinner reservations, nothing planned for that afternoon.  So we just took our time leaving my parents' house and driving up the mountain.  We stopped at Fatz on the way to grab some lunch.


Note: We opted not to bring the Canon on the trip, so all photos were taken with my phone.

Once we arrived at our hotel we found a goodie basket in our suite!  Cupcakes = YUM!


The note says "Welcome + Happy Anniversary!"
 Then we headed downtown Hendersonville to eat at 2 Guys Pizza & Ribs, a local hot spot that was recommended by our travel agent/tour guide.  We were welcomed by the owner, Melody, with hugs!  We found a nice spot at the bar and had some drinks.  They were getting our private high top ready for us, but we decided the bar was nice enough for us and stayed there.  {It was also the coolest spot in the restaurant under a wonderful fan.} 

I ordered a new drink since I'm trying 50 new beers.  I tried out "Original Sin" - it's a hard Apple Cider.  Get it??  Original Sin...apple...  Anywho!  I wasn't a fan.  A bit too much apple for me.  And I'm not one for the sweet drinks like I was back in college.  So my next one was a Bud Lite.  Can't go wrong with that.

5* for the label though!
Hubby tried the famous ribs which were YUMMY.  He got a half rack and it was still huge.  He only ate half of it!  And I knew I was going to try his ribs so I got something different, an Italian sub.  Also YUM.  And we arrived at a great time because within the hour that place got packed.  We met a lot of the regulars.  Definitely recommend it if you are in downtown Hendersonville.  If a place has regulars then you know it's great.




When we were done with our meal we headed out to give up our seats to the next couple.  Just outside the town was having their Summer Friday night Music on Main event.  And it also coincided with their monthly car show.  {Lucky Hubby!}


We did some more exploring on Main Street.  And even stopped for some ice cream.


They had dozens of artsy bear statues throughout Downtown.  New Bern, NC should be jealous, because they are also known for their Bears and have the same statues throughout town.  Also, I loved these benches!

That was our Friday Night!

Now off to enjoy our Saturday!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...